Maldon Archaeological and Historical Group

Maldon, Essex, England








MAHG has produced a number of publications with more under development. The Group also provides and supports a range of exhibitions and Open Days during the course of the year.





  • The Group exhibits at conferences and the Essex History Fair.

  • There is an exhibition of the Beeleigh Abbey excavation at the Maeldune Centre, Maldon, funded by the Foyle Foundation. The exhibition contains descriptions of the site and finds, examples of pottery, and small finds. There is a rolling Power Point presentation providing information on the history of the site and the area within which it lies, together with further details of the dig.

Display of sample pottery finds


General pictures of the exhibition are posted on the LHI site. Click on the dig images on the right hand side, then click on the images on the left hand side of the LHI pages.

Featuring the history & archaeology in and around Little Baddow, the History Centre is located behind the cart-lodge in the grounds of the URC Chapel. The exhibition provides a fascinating collection of photographs, pictures, maps, documents, and archaeological artefacts.

Opening times are:

Tuesdays and Thursdays;    10 am to 12 noon

Wednesdays and Sundays;  2 - 4 pm

The Centre Coordinator is Andy Coppell who can be contacted on 01245 224896.

The Little Baddow History Centre runs a programme of events each year and is a mine of local information. The Centre may also be able to assist with family history enquiries, etc.  


For further details or to contact someone at the History Centre click on the above link to access the Centre's website.


From Danbury; At Eves Corner turn into Little Baddow Road and continue for approx. 2 miles, turning left into Holybred Lane. Continue to the junction with Chapel Lane on the left. The URC Church is on the corner.





  • 'A History of Beeleigh Mill'. This is an updated version of the original History of Beeleigh Mill book and has been written by Grahame Thorne. It includes more engine details, a history section by Stephen Nunn and additional information, including reports of the fire that ultimately led to the mills destruction and an eight page centre section containing coloured illustrations.

Grahame is a member of both MAHG and the Beeleigh Mill Restoration Group (BMRG).

It provides the story of an impressive mill built on the banks of the River Chelmer close to Beeleigh Abbey. Although destroyed by fire in 1875, the remains of the water mill can be seen together with a marvelously preserved original beam engine. Price £3.95; ISBN 0 9511948 9 5. MAHG members are able to purchase the book at a discounted price; contact us at the address/email address below for further information.

Available directly from MAHG, it is also be available from the following retail outlets in Maldon:

  • Emporium

  • Wenlocks

  • Barnacle Goose

  • Beeleigh Abbey (during Open Days)

  • Farleigh Hospice shop

  • Coes

  • Tourist Information Centre

  • Maldon Library

  • Lunar

  • Maeldune Centre

  • Lock Tea Room

  • Military Museum

To order a copy directly from MAHG, either write to us at: Maldon Archaeological & Historical Group, Unit 2, Brickhouse Community Centre, Poulton Close, Maldon CM9 6DG or email us at



Following the success of ‘Maldon, the Dengie and Battles in the Skies (1939-1945)’, the Maldon Archaeological and Historical Group have again teamed up with local historian and author Stephen P. Nunn. This publication turns the clock back even further to the conflict of 1914-1918.

This latest study examines the character of Maldon at the outbreak of the First World War and looks at the impact on the inhabitants as a result of a Zeppelin raid in 1915. It also outlines the activities of the Royal Flying Corps at nearby Goldhanger aerodrome and the secret work of the Navy on Osea Island. There are detailed stories about the impact of war on two local families at either end of the social spectrum – the Granthams of Beeleigh Abbey and the Lasts of Gate Street.

Most importantly the book pulls together, for the first time ever, a complete roll call of the 248 Maldon and Heybridge men who made the ultimate sacrifice (only 146 of them are listed on the town’s main war memorial).

An analysis of the casualty details is broken down by military unit, rank, decorations, home addresses, occupations, dates of death and places of commemoration. The book has a comprehensive introduction to set the scene and a detailed bibliography of sources and current web links.

This is a very readable, moving and poignant account of the part that one riverside town community played in the Great War to end all wars. It will be of special interest to local historians, genealogists, students of the First World War and all those curious about the heritage of the Maldon and Heybridge District.

The book costs £8.95, consists of 98 pages, is profusely illustrated by sepia photographs throughout (some published for the very first time).

Copies of the book can be obtained in Maldon from the following outlets:

  • W. H. Smith

  • Tesco

  • Maldon Tourist Information Centre

  • The Maeldune Centre

  • Combined Military Services Museum

  • Maldon Library

  • The Moot Hall

  • Maldon Museum ( Promenade Park )

  • Wenlocks

  • The Emporium

  • Lunar (King’s Head Centre)

  • Maldon Newsagents (High Street)

  • Washington News ( Washington Road, Maldon)

Copies are also available from Waterstones (Chelmsford Branch).

Or alternatively you can order a copy directly from the Maldon Archaeological & Historical Group, Unit 2, Brickhouse Community Centre, Poulton Close, Maldon CM9 6DG. (email:


  • 'Below Ground at Beeleigh'. This publication provides a fascinating account of these important excavations at Beeleigh Abbey, Maldon.

Available from local outlets: W H Smith; The Maeldune Centre; and the Tourist Information Centre; or direct from MAHG for £5.99 (plus £2.00 p&p if ordering directly from MAHG), cheques payable to M.A.H.G..

To order a copy directly from the MAHG either contact us at , Unit 2, Brickhouse Community Centre, Poulton Close, Maldon CM9 6DG, or email the Group at:



  • 'House of History - The Story of Edwin's Hall', by Stephen Nunn, provides the fascinating history of this beautiful Hall is available, price £3.95 from June 30 but Kevin at All Books, Mill Road, Maldon has some pre-launch copies.



CURRENTLY OUT OF PRINT - Please register interest or check status via


Stephen has spent 30 years researching the topic and his book provides a fascinating account of aerial conflict in the skies over Maldon and the Dengie accompanied by many contemporary photographs.

Available from local outlets: All Books; W H Smith; The Maeldune Centre; The Combined Services Museum; The Tourist Information Centre; the Library, or direct from MAHG for £6.99 (plus £2.00 p&p if ordering directly from MAHG), cheques payable to M.A.H.G..

To order a copy directly from the MAHG either contact us at , Unit 2, Brickhouse Community Centre, Poulton Close, Maldon CM9 6DG, or email the Group at:




  • 'Maeldune - Light on Maldon's Distant Past'. A history of Maldon from pre-history to 1066 (click on image on right hand side). Published by MAHG in 1992.




Extract from p 33:-

"Because cellars have frequently escaped modernisation, they can preserve furnishings and fixtures which are now becoming rare. Old doors and wooden case locks are occasionally found. A slatted door to the north part of the cellar beneath Church House is of a sort that used to be used for larders and indicates how this end of the cellar was used. The Lodge in Lodge Road has a superb range made by the Eagle Range Co. of St. Paul's churchyard, London. Some fixtures are peculiar to cellars, notably pavement lights at ground level to provide light and sometimes ventilation, and coal chutes".




  • 'St Roger of Beeleigh'. The book is a search for an all but unheard of Saint with local Essex associations, Roger Niger, almost Maldon's patron saint. The results of 10 years research by Local Historian and MAHG member into a hitherto unjustly forgotten powerful medieval churchman who was born, and probably educated, at Beeleigh Abbey. It was to Beeleigh that his heart was returned for pilgrims to visit. Price £3.95

St. Roger was born about AD 1180, and became in turn, Archdeacon of Colchester and Bishop of London. His life centred on a turbulent period of English history, the late twelfth and the thirteenth centuries, and is a chronicle of political intrigue, of matters spiritual and secular, of power, wonder and eventual "canonisation".


  • 'Lofts Farm' - click on the image on the right hand side.

  • The Group has also published a number of pamphlets on local subjects such as the churches of Maldon and district. It also issues an annual MAHgazine and newsletter.



Future Publications:

  • A survey by the Group of Maldon's graveyards is to be the basis of a new book which is in the process of being written.







Lofts Farm Project Interim Reports





Maeldune - Light on Maldon's Distant Past






The Maldon Burh Jigsaw